- Baton Rouge Audubon Society - Great information about birding Louisiana and the Baton Rouge area in particular
- Birding Made Easy New Orleans - A birding blog about birding New Orleans with frequent updates on the author’s birding excursions in and around the city. I owe thanks to this blog for spotting the Iceland gull in Mandeville!
- ebird.org - A worldwide birding tool. You can create an account and submit observations of birds, keep up with your life list and get notifications when rare birds or birds you haven’t seen yet pop up in your neighborhood. You can also search by map for all recorded sightings of species and birding hot-spots. An invaluable reference for any birder.
- The Cornell Lab of Ornithology: All About Birds - When field guides fail me, this is my #1 stop to identify birds. Each species is described in depth and you are given similar species (even different genders or ages) that it can be confused with.
- Blackened Out – A blog devoted to eating in New Orleans
- NOLA Cuisine – A blog about cooking traditional New Orleans food.
- Google Earth – The most powerful piece of free GIS software available. Download it and be amazed at the amount of cars in your backyard.
- LSU Atlas - Louisiana State University’s geospatial database. Includes a few years worth of aerial photographs, LIDAR elevation data and more.
- USDA Geospatial Data Gateway – United States Department of Agriculture’s Geospatial Data. Includes tons of great aerial photographs, census data, roads and loads of other great GIS data.
- William T. Block, Jr. Historian – A historian that wrote about east Texas and Western Louisiana history. Some fascinating articles.
More Gulf Coast Blogs!
- Adventures of A Yankee In Cajun Country – Local travel/adventure blog from a writer from the northeast who moved to Louisiana
- I Love Shelling – Both a shelling enthusiast and reference blog based out of Sanibel, FL. I use this site for ID’ing shells. This blog actually made me want to visit Sanibel Island and I took a shelling cruise with the author!